Friday, November 17, 2006

Ahhh, parenting, or lack thereof

Yes, another parenting post. Sorry, folks, it's who I am. But this one isn't about me - for a change ;)

There have been way too many stories (though I hesitate to call them stories, they aren't fiction, or entertainment, these are real people) lately coming across my radar screen.

First in my mind is one involving one of James's friends. Seems her mom is not a very fit parent. I know, most teens are programmed to not think much of their parents, in this case it's more than that. A cultural gap miles wide exists in this case and let's face it, kids really are people, not merely possessions. Anyway, this girl has been taken from her mom's home and, with her dad's blessing, is now living with another friend of James's and her family. I hope and pray that this is the right fit for all of them, I want to see them all succeed.

Then there's the kids in my neighbourhood who might as well be parenting themselves. I know how hard it is to be a single parent, it makes my heart hurt to see these kids left alone at all hours or knocking at my door saying their mom won't mind if they come in for four or five hours...though the mom doesn't even know me.

Or the grown women that I know who are still wearing those scars inflicted by parents who "loved" them too much, or not at all.

Guess I'm rethinking my post of the other day, and making sure my own kids know how very much they mean to me.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Amen! Love those buggers! They are getting older by the minute.

Michele said...

Awwww, hugs to all those kids!