Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Guess I need a netiquette course

I got one of those mass emails this morning, from someone I don't even know. My name is in her address book because we have a friend in common but that's okay, I don't mind getting the occasional joke or cute kid/puppy picture from her. Back to the point, though. As I almost always do, I checked snopes for confirmation of the story shared in the email before replying. Sure enough, it was there, and the info in the email was partially false, so I hit "reply all" and passed along a brief comment along the lines of "this story isn't totally true, please check this link for more details" and didn't think any more of it. A few minutes ago I got a snippy email from someone else on my friend's friend's list - "from now on, please reply to sender, not reply all". Well! I almost hit delete but then thought, nope, not this time. I wrote back to this person I don't know at all and told her that I thought everyone would rather know that it was partially false before they passed it on. Me and my big mouth, huh? I really think if more people checked things out and passed along their findings, we would have less of these emails circulating around for YEARS. Of course, that would negate the need for snopes, and I don't want that.

7 comments:

LoisLane said...

So far today I have received 47 emails from people that don't know the difference between "reply" and "reply all." lol
That said, I think what you did was good - better to pass along the info to all the people who got the junk email in the first place.
Tell the snippy one I said so. ;)

Michele said...

Aw, come on Cherie, don't you know everything you read on the net MUST be true? ;)

Hillary said...

You know, it might be annoying to get an email that you didn't want, but really, clicking "delete" isn't that hard. It's certainly easier than writing a snippy email! You had a valid reason for hitting "reply all," I think, and she just needed to gripe at someone. Don't take it personally! :)

Heather and Iona said...

LOLOL She is talking about my friend Wenona... LOL

Queen Bee said...

Heather, she wasn't the snippy one though ;)

Katrina said...

I almost never pass on forwards, and on the rare occasions that I do, I also check Snopes (if it's a "real life" story) and clean up the email before passing it on to the people I think will be most interested.

I have a Forward Monster in my address book, and since most of his forwards come as attachments without any text, they generally go into the trash unopened, as per instructions from my Geek on virus protection. :)

Woman with kids said...

Well, it's probably not polite, but seeing as my mother sends every mass forward out there, I do reply to all and let the entire cult, er, I mean, group of people I'm sure are her friends, know that it's false.