Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Forms to fall asleep by

I warned you in my last post, so don't read if you're operating heavy machinery or anything like that ;)

Adjustment of status costs $1010 for me, $600 each for James & Maya. If I don't adjust theirs when I do mine, they are left with no status at all as K4 is derivative and depends on my K3 status. Theoretically, they could be deported if they aren't all done at the same time. I don't want to take any chances. The "good" news is that I can send in an application for a work permit with the adjustment paperwork at no cost. Separately it would cost $340.

Some of the things I need to send along with all the forms I've filled out: copies of our birth certificates, copies of our visas (those are in our passports), two passport photos each - taken within 30 days of filling out the applications, copies of our vaccination records, 4 copies each of G-325A (biographic information), a copy of the approval notice of my original immigrant application, and an affidavit of support. The affidavit is to be accompanied by a copy of Matt's latest tax return complete with copies of his W2s (and Canadian T4s in our case), the amount of total income from his previous two tax returns and evidence of how much he is being paid right now.

So, because of the cost of this, we're applying for a fee waiver. There is no way of knowing if that will be approved or not, depends on if we catch the right person in the right mood on the right day. We have to prove that Matt can support us AND prove that we don't have the money for the fees, at the same time.

I tell ya, life is never ever boring. Paperwork might be but life sure isn't.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Ugh... well we will be in prayers.