Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Overheard and overboard

I overheard a mom today talking about something her 5yo son wanted for Christmas. She apparently told him that it was not possible, that he wasn't going to get it, and he told her that he wanted it. She told him, "I want a Mercedes, it doesn't mean I'm going to get it" and he replied that he would just ask Santa then because Santa can do anything. So, she told her friend that she and her dh found "it" on ebay, thank goodness for ebay. Her hubby looked everywhere for it.

I was thinking, gee, why not just get him something else and not bother with whatever it was that was so out of line? I guess some people are too scared of disappointing their kids to remain reasonable. Ugh.

4 comments:

LoisLane said...

I really hate that so many people are like that today. Being disappointed is part of life and better to learn how to cope with it when you are young. Sheesh. Katie already asked Santa for this $250 toy horse that I told her she wouldn't be getting. She said it didn't matter to Santa that it was $250 because he *makes* the toys. I told her even Santa has limits and she won't be getting it.

Lara said...

Yeah, I told my kids that Santa has a lot of kids to give to, and even he has to be reasonable. How would they feel if some kid who only got one little present didn't get it because Santa was workng on their mongo huge present? Mean? Perhaps. :p

We've really been working on making it clear what a budget is and how, even if you have the money for something doesn't mean you should spend it on whatever you want. Prioritizing and saving and such.

Molly said...

LOL I told mine that sometimes Santa has to go shopping.. and he can't spend X on one kid and not as much on another..

Mine asked for Laptops, Video Cameras and 4 webkinz each.. um Prolly not..

Heather said...

LOL I agree with you.. if I cant find it... then its not going under the tree ;)